Infrared Roof Scans

Friday, August 16, 2013

Real Estate Due Diligence Infrared Scanning - Part 4

I'm sure you've been waiting anxiously for the next installment of a Day in the Life of a Thermographer. So far I've showed how how I did a roof and building envelope thermal scan as part of a Real Estate Due Diligence Infrared specific transaction. This week I'll tell you what it all means.

The results from the roof and building scan were pretty good.  As a brief review, I began the thermal inspection while the sun was still heating the roof and building surfaces. I then watched the temperature drop over several areas so I could check for irregular and elevated temperatures in different areas of the roof and building (remember, if it has moisture, it cools down slower than dry areas).

I also noted any equipment because equipment (and the areas below equipment) will generally exhibit a hotter temperature. In other words, I can't compare the temperature of the roof surface to the temperature of an air conditioning unit; I have to compare the temperature of the roof surface to the same area on the roof surface as it cools, and likewise I have to compare any equipment to the same equipment.

There were no significant anomalies as the roof cool. However, I always recommend that areas however around the floor drains and roof mounted equipment be included in a regular maintenance program since they are very vulnerable.

The exterior wall system also showed very small temperature differentials as the surface cooled, indicating there no significant moisture entrainment in the sheathing areas. However, when I did a visual inspection, I did see some areas where the caulk was cracking. This means that even though moisture hadn't gotten in yet, maintenance should be done to make sure the integrity of the EIFS system remains intact.

So far so good, right? But wait until you hear what happened when I took a look at the mechanical and electrical systems.
When was the last time you checked what was going on behind the walls? Want more information? Call me at 803-328-2889 or drop me an email!

We believe so strongly in using Infrared Thermal Imaging for your Real Estate Due Diligence, that we created a Discount Membership for our repeat customers. Learn more about it here: http://www.irinfraredservices.com/PremierMember.html

IR Infrared Services provides top quality thermographic service at a competitive price to commercial and residential end users in North Carolina and South Carolina. For more information, visit www.irinfraredservices.com or follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/infraredscans. We are proud to offer the very best thermography services in North and South Carolina!

No comments:

Post a Comment